Are You Kidding Me?!

Are You Kidding Me?!

Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Hello? I'm Standing Right Here!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been at a store or the bank or, I am not kidding, in my front yard and a clerk, bank teller, or creep in a car offers my child a piece of candy. They ask my child if he wants this candy. Let’s forget the car creep for now and focus on the nice folks in the reputable stores and banks. I don’t think they’re trying to poison my kid but they are being rude. I will repeat this. If you ask a child, not the parent standing right next to him, if he wants some candy, you are being rude. Also, you are not taking into account that this child might have an allergy or be in some other way unable to eat the candy. So, really, you are being double rude. Or whatever.

Public service announcement #2

It’s so sweet that you want to give my kid a treat. But when you ask a child if he wants a piece of candy, he’ll probably say yes. If you ask the parent…oh, didn’t think of that? Let me help you. If you ask the parent if you can give her child a piece of candy, you may not hear a yes. You might very well hear a no. You may not be given an explanation. Or you may be overloaded with information about her child’s allergies or sensory disorder or the fact that the kid just puked in the car and the last thing he needs is a sugary sweet, thank you very much. Whatever the reason, whatever the answer, ASK THE PARENT FIRST! Thank you kindly.