Are You Kidding Me?!

Are You Kidding Me?!

Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Invisibility Cloak

What a spectacular high it is to be appreciated and thanked for doing your job. There’s employee of the week, employee of the month, and employee of the year. You get respect, raises, and recognition.

Isn’t that splendid?

Let’s compare that to say, oh I don’t know, being a mom. Go ahead. Guffaw. You know where I’m going with this. I have two children—good kids with nice manners. They have been brought up in a home where they have learned that they are lucky. Consequently, they are thoughtful and generous individuals. They gladly give up gaming time to help package up hats and scarves for our local homeless shelter. They spend time shopping for groceries to give to local food pantries. They donate their books and toys to kids at safe houses. They say please and thank you.

And yet.

Here I am. Standing in the hallway as my two lovely little children blow by me in a whirlwind of energy to get to the table. The one full of food that I set out for them. Or ignore me as they retreat to the basement to play their new Wii game. The one that I bought them. Or don’t look up from their book as I walk out of my room in the morning, heading into the kitchen to make their breakfast. Not so much as a “good morning” never mind a “thank you so much for making my breakfast”.

There is something quite special about being invisible. I always wanted a super power when I was little. I thought it would be so cool. I thought about which one I would choose and, though it was a tough decision, I usually wound up picking flying or being invisible. I haven’t been able to get those childhood wings to work yet but, man, I sure did get the invisibility that I wanted so badly.

Be careful what you wish for.